Friday, September 11, 2015

My Unique Name

Montserrat Cosio
ESL 100
August 26, 2015
My Unique Name

My name is special, strong, and different. My name is the number ten. I did not inherit anybody’s name. My name is like a thunderstorm; it is tough to pronounce. The origin of my name is Catalan. My mother told me the story of how I got my name. She told me when she was a little girl, she always liked the name Andrea, because that is my grandmother’s name. However, my mother’s sister named her first daughter Andrea and my mother didn’t want me to have the same name as my cousin. She also liked the name Montserrat when she was little, so she decided to name me Montserrat even before I was born. On the other hand, my father wanted me to be named Alejandra because in my father’s family, the name Alejandro(a) is very common. I don’t know how my mother convinced my father to name me Montserrat, but I am glad that my mother chose that name because I like it. I think it is different. Every time I hear my name in Spanish, the first thing that comes to my mind is “Wow my name sounds strong”. For English speakers, however, it’s hard to pronounce and people always mispronounce it. English speakers pronounce it as: “MON -TSTER, MON-TER, MONSI” and sometimes they don’t try and tell me that my name is really hard. In English, my name means “ a Latin baby name”. In Spanish, my name means chosen and loved by God, and this makes me feel unique and loved. I was baptized with the name of Montserrat. My name is Montserrat, and it is very special to me. I thank my mother for giving me this name.       

No comments:

Post a Comment