Saturday, September 12, 2015

Best Gift

Huiyin Liang
ESL 100
September 12, 2015

Best Gift
    Every parent hopes their children will grow up to be a good 
person, so they choose a name that has a good meaning, which may 
include their best wishes to their children. However, I dont think my 
name has any meaning, but it has a very funny story.
    My name was created by my great-grandmother and my grandfather. 
was the first grandchild in my family, so they were very happy when 
was born. They had prepared a lot of things before I came to the 
world. My great-grandmother wanted my name to be “Meiyin, which 
means rich. She was born in a poor family and she needed to work hard 
everyday to earn money to support her family, so she hoped I could be 
a rich woman and not work so hard like her. In addition, my
grandfather wanted my name to be “Huilan, which means to be a 
good woman. He hoped I would be a good mother and will stay well 
with my own family. I know they all wanted to give their best wishes, 
but it was hard to make a decision. Therefore, my mother decided to 
choose one word from each name. Maybe my name would not have 
any meaning, but it would include my familybest wishes.
    When I was a primary school student, sometimes my name had 
brought me some troubles. I had complained about my name that it 
was too hard to write in Chinese, and it was hard to pronounce in 
English for the English speakers. However, I still dont want to 
change it because I think it was the best gift from my family. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment